Tuesday, June 2, 2009

How to live 3 days with two shirts and 1 pair of shorts

My trip is a little more exciting than the rest. Since i have to get back to Jacksonville for the start of swim camp, i got to go on ahead of the group. A little scouting expedition if you will to trip all the booby traps waiting out there. You know, like sitting in immigration for 1.5hrs. in Lisbon, Portugal so i could catch my connecting flight to Barcelona. Having your luggage spend a few extra days in Lisbon so you could really learn how to wash clothes with some detergent in the bathroom sink so you do not smell too bad the next day. Things like that. So needless to say it did happen to me and not anyone else, so i guess the scouting expedition was worth it.

Any ways once the airlines that lost my luggage gave me my complimentary kit (for people whose luggage they lost), you know the one with the cheap toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste, razor, shampoo, shaving cream, brush/mirror combo, and this awesome plain white t-shirt (normally used as an undershirt). Oh and laundry detergent. These were the instructions for using it - fill sink with water, pour detergent in water, put clothes in water(this is straight off the package). I added the scrub and agitate part myself. Oh and it took them a day to find my bags in Portugal, then they decide to send it over on the lastest flight to Barcelona, then bring it to the hotel middle of the day today, after we have left for the day. So 3 days same clothes, tomorrow -FRESH CLEAN CLOTHES YEAH!!!!!!!, and my extra books, was running out of things to read.

Anyway now that Murphy has done his duty, i can get on with enjoying Spain, (though i did have fun already just did not smell very good). I met the head coach of Sabadell, Albert Tubella, great guy with a passion for swimming. He brought me to Sabadell and helped check me into the hotel.

Since i was by myself the first night i figured i would check out the sights. After scouring the area and checking out many restaurants a few times, I finally decided on one and enjoyed my self in a restuarant where i did not understand one word. It was great to people watch. The Spanish are very different. Especially since i thought the restaurant would be closing soon since it was already 9pm and it was starting too empty. So i thought, by 930 it was packed. So were the streets, everyone and their brother (literally) were outside enjoying the weather and the socializing.

I slept very well that first night. The next morning i walked to the pool using my trusty city map. Since the team had not arrive yet i had the opportunity to meet with and talk to many of the coaches of Club Sabadell and watch their morning practice. In talking with the coaches i learned a lot about their thoughts and ideas on swimming. Very educational. Once sergio arrived the rest as i say "is already posted".

I have really enjoyed this trip very much, even with the lost luggage i still have had a great time. Barcelona is a beautiful city and one i recomend all should see if they get the chance.

1 comment:

clark said...

Jon, I'm sure the team (and everyone in your hotel)was even happier than you when you were able to change clothes. Glad you got your books. Looks like everyone is having a great time.
Clark